This should be a goal our team sets for next year when brainstorming on our FLL Project. Dean Kamen, the founder of FIRST, is an inventor and entrepreneur. The Global Innovation Award reflects his emphasis on innovation which is best embodied by a product or service that can be patented and commercialized for the betterment of society.
From this year’s web page:
Where will your ideas take you?
The FIRST LEGO League Global Innovation Award presented by XPRIZE is designed to encourage and assist teams to further develop their innovative solutions to real-world problems.
For many teams, their innovative solutions created through the Project have led to some amazing opportunities, like receiving local and national media attention, meeting government leaders, and seeing their invention be brought to market. For some, their inventions have changed lives.
From the FAQ:
Who can enter, when, where?
• Who can enter? Any FIRST® LEGO® League (FLL®) team registered for the FLL WORLD CLASSS season.
• When can I enter? Right now!
• Where? http://fllinnovation.firstlegoleague.org
What are the prizes?
• The Winner will receive a cash prize of USD $20,000. The two runners-up will each receive a cash prize of USD $5,000.
The teams must agree to use the prize money to further develop the team’s invention and/or to support team activities related to FIRST® programs.
• Each team member of the three Finalist teams will receive a new LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Education EV3 robot set.
If you’re chosen as a Semi-Finalist… What’s expected?
• If your team is chosen as a Semi-Finalist, you are required to send at least two team member representatives and two adult Coaches to the FIRST LEGO League World Festival in St. Louis, Missouri, USA in April 2015 for the final round of judging. The three Finalists will be announced at World Festival.
If you’re chosen as a Finalist… What’s expected?
• The three Finalist teams will be honored at an awards ceremony in the Washington, DC, USA area the week of June 15, 2015. Finalist teams are required to send at least two student representatives and two adult Coaches to the awards ceremony.
Leonardo Davinci’s sketches on the Water Wheel